The King and Queen of Luxury: Caviar and Bubbles
“Phew- it’s almost 2021 and what better way to celebrate the end of 2020 than to toast some delicious Anderson Valley brut bubbles! Well, we could go even further in our celebration and pair it with caviar. I mean, why not? This is the way aristocrats around the world have been celebrating for centuries. So, let us get a little fancy and indulge in these equally luxurious delicacies while celebrating the new year! Because ultimately, we all deserve to Toast to Bubbles and Caviar, Anderson Valley style.”
Anderson Valley Sparkling Wine?!
Although known for its highly acclaimed Pinot Noirs, Anderson Valley is home to many delicious sparkling wines. Currently, there are eleven sparkling wine producers who make and sell bubbles in the valley. Traveling along Highway 128 from Boonville and venturing west toward the Mendocino Coast truly is a sparkling wine lovers’ dream wine tasting destination.
As discussed in the History of Anderson Valley Masterclass, the first Anderson Valley sparkling wine was made in 1981 by Scharffenberger Cellars (now owned by the domestic sparkling house of French Champagne producer Louis Roederer and maker of Cristal). Goldeneye produced sparkling rosé for the first time in 2012 and it has become a known favorite throughout the valley!
The Goldeneye Anderson Valley Brut Rosé Sparkling Wine, aka “Bubbles”, is a perfect addition to our portfolio of Goldeneye Anderson Valley Pinot Noir and we couldn’t be more thrilled to be able to enjoy it with our guests! Bubbles get better with a little bit of age and we are now popping corks on the 2016 Vintage:
- 40% Chardonnay and 60% Pinot Noir
- Slight pink hue offering vivid layers of blood orange, honeydew, and hazelnut flavors.
- A staff favorite at Goldeneye, we absolutely love it!
Let’s Talk About Caviar; Tsar Nicoulai Caviar
Traditionally, the term “caviar” refers only to roe from wild sturgeon in the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea. Due to global popularity sturgeon is a “threatened species” so the question is how do we intelligently and respectfully extract sturgeon roe? The answer is to partner with Tsar Nicoulai located in Wilton, California!
Tsar Nicoulai is known for its “farm to table” sustainable and eco-friendly sturgeon and seafood farming. It’s the only ECOCERT eco-certified sturgeon farm in the United States. Needless to say, we are thrilled to be partnering with them and love their caviar! The sparkling burst from the caviar compliments the bubbles from our Goldeneye bubbles perfectly.
The “How To” for Bubbles and Caviar, Goldeneye Style
This winter we invite you to sit and relax and celebrate your visit to Anderson Valley with A Toast to Bubbles and Caviar. We have set up comfortable (socially distanced) seating on our patio overlooking our Confluence Estate Vineyard, where the vines disappear into a backdrop of Mendocino coastal redwoods. We believe wine tasting and food pairing should always be fun, so please come prepared to have a memorable and fantastic time!
For our tasting, we use mother of pearl spoons which don’t react with the delicate caviar roe as silver does. The ingredients are simple:
- Goldeneye Anderson Valley Brut Rosé Sparkling Wine
- Tsar Nicoulai Reserve Caviar
- Kettle Chips Unsalted Potato Chips
- Bellweather Farms Crème Fraiche
- Goldeneye Garden Chives
- Local Egg Yolk
Tasting is Even Easier!
- Sip the Bubbles and taste on its own, making sure you get a good dose of goodness!
- Place about a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of caviar on the spoon and taste on its own. Don’t chew the caviar, it’s delicate and just likes to melt in your mouth a bit.
- Sip the Bubbles again and immediately taste the caviar. Let them mingle in your mouth together before swallowing.
- Add the potato chips, crème fraîche, chives, and eggs to your desired amounts, ultimately finding your favorite combination.
- Viola! You’re a bubbles and caviar tasting expert!
Phone: (707) 895-WINE