SUMMER/ FALL 2023
Events & Updates From Anderson Valley
Ask anyone who has been here, tasted wine here or got to be a part of our super successful 24th annual Pinot Fest in May….Anderson Valley is the place to be this summer and throughout the year. We are the wine route to the sea and we deliver incredible quality and the chance to immerse yourself not only in Pinot Noir but superior Chardonnay and the aromatic wines of Riesling, Gewürztraminer and Pinot Blanc. And then there’s our charming inns, hotels and restaurants recognized around the world. Just let us know when you want to visit and we will amaze you. (and dare we mention the new trend in the Valley toward Gruner Veltliner?!)
- Anderson Valley Winegrowers Annual Events:
- The signature annual Pinot Noir Festival tickets go on sale September 1st for the May 16-20, 2024 event. Best to buy early for limited events like Sunday’s Bubble Lounge and Saturday’s BBQ in the Vineyard.
- Harvest Tidrick Weekend– November 4-5, 2023. Look for a weekend of wine dinners, winery events, specials and special food pairings to celebrate harvest. Tidrick means “party” and that is what we plan to do the first weekend of November. Tickets go on sale November 1st for the annual
- White Wine Weekend on February 17-18 weekend celebrating the white wine and sparkling from the region. www.AVWINES.com
- Cinema in the Vineyard – As part of the Mendocino Film Festival. October 7th & 8th, visit Anderson Valley for a special screening at Pennyroyal Farm (and more TBC), plus other winery promotions all weekend. Check back at www.pennyroyalfarm.com or https://mff-2023.eventive.org/welcome
- Elk Cove Inn & Spa – Anderson Valley Fall wine dinners. Artevino (Oct 28), Weatherborne (TBD), Bee Hunter (TBD) and special caviar and bubbles December dinner. www.elkcoveinn.com.
- Barrel Tasting July 29 & 30. Try four barrel samples plus a library wine to compare wines in the barrel to aged finished wines. Food bites to pair. www.foursightwines.com.
- Every Saturday and Sunday in August, join Kristy and Joe for samples of tri-tip and fresh mushrooms grilled by winemaker Joe to pair with wine he makes. Free with every reservation. www.foursightwines.com.
- Goldeneye Winery:
- Summer Music Series every second Saturday of the month from July through October.
- Saturday, August 5th Annual Bubbles and Brunch. Reserve at www.goldeneyewinery.com
- Handley Cellars:
- Saturday, July 15th is the annual Summer Picnic! This event is always well attended and includes food, fun and barrel tasting with the winemaker. Club members come far and wide for this event.
- Handley also will celebrate harvest on Saturday, September 16, during their Harvest Dinner for Wine Club Members. https://handleycellars.com/upcoming-events/
- Maggy Hawk Wines Pinot & Pizza Sundays- Summer is here and we’ll be firing up our wood-fired pizza oven on the second Sunday of June, July, and August and offering pizzas to enjoy alongside a flight of three Maggy Hawk Pinot Noirs and a friendly game of bocce. Bottle service is also available plus our own private dog park.
- Minus Tide Winemaker Dinner at The Apple Farm -Saturday, September 9, 2023. As part of their Saturday Supper series, The Apple Farm in Philo welcomes Minus Tide Wines for a special evening. www.minustidewines.com. wwwphiloapplefarm.com.
- Pennyroyal Farms
- Flight & Bites – July 15 & 16 – pre-fixe tasting menu paired with a flight of Pennyroyal wines. Farm-raised meats and handmade cheeses form the farm. $45 + 20% gratuity. Better pricing for members. www.pennyroyalfarm.com
- Haywagon ride around the farm – August 12, 2023 – Jump on the horse-drawn wagon for a tour around Pennyroyal with head gardener Sophie Bates. $20 and free for little ones under three on an adult’s lap. 12 people at a time.
- Farmstead Fodder: Get Goating, July 29 The next in our Farmstead Fodder series, Get Goating is intended for older kids (recommended for ages 8-18) who are interested in dairy goats for raising on their own or for a school agricultural project. This session will be hosted in the barn with herd manager and head cheesemaker, Erika McKenzie-Chapter, where she will demonstrate key components of animal care, hand milking, feeding, and general dairy discussion. We’ll conclude the seminar with a tasting of our summertime cheeses and each registrant receives a “Goat Tee.” Farm to Table members receive priority booking and discounted pricing. www.pennyroyalfarm.com.
- Cinema in the Vineyards, Oct 7 & 8 Outdoor Screening with Special Dinner at Pennyroyal Farm on Oct 7 Presenting Sponsor, Mendocino Film Festival.
- Roederer Estate Bastille Day, July 15, 2023. Join us for our annual patio party to celebrate France’s national holiday. Start off with a glass of Brut or Brut Rose from magnum. Live music and select bottles and French-inspired nibbles for purchase. www.roedererestate.com.
- Wentworth Vineyards – September 28, 2023. An evening of superb wines paired with elevated food at the Four Seasons Napa Valley. For info email@example.com.Hear about Mark Wentworth’s latest plantings, like Blaufrankisch and Aligote!
- Brashley Vineyards – August 12, 2023. This dynamic newcomer in the Valley has an in-house chef and pizza oven so is sure to have an amazing dinner of 2021 wines from winemaker Ashley Holland and food from chef Sean. And stop by and ask about their Finger Lakes Riesling also made by Ashley Holland in NY. www.brashleyvineyards.com.
- Drew Family Wines– for those visiting Philo recently some may have noticed a vacancy at The Madrones. Jason and Molly Drew have moved all tastings by reservation only to their estate winery and vineyard in nearby Elk, which also sits on a heritage apple farm. Visit Thursday, Friday & Sunday. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Foursight Wines– the team received a USDA Healthy Soils grant to plant a native pollinator hedgerow to accompany lavender fields planted over two acres that will become a destination in the Valley. Look for winery dinners under the stars and the fragrance of lavender permeating the air in the future.
- Savoy Vineyard Sells to Donum- one of the most sought-after vineyards in Anderson Valley is undoubtedly the marquee-level Savoy Vineyard. Newly acquired by Donum Estates, we welcome them to the Valley and look forward to many years of collaboration with winemakers that love the Savoy fruit.
- The Anderson Valley Pizza Trail – more and more wineries are jumping into the pizza game and incredible creations can be found across the Anderson Valley. Check sites for when your favorite pizza-loving winery will be firing up the ovens. Wineries include Maggy Hawk, Brashley, Meyer Family, Weatherborne, Goldeneye and restaurants like Offspring and Wickson’s. Read more and see the recipes.
- Thomas T. Thomas Vineyards (recently featured in Wine Enthusiast) is now open for tasting by reservation. Join Thomas at his hilltop winery with its indoor art gallery and outdoor vineyard view tasting area. Email him at email@example.com.
Wine Releases (of note)
- Gruner Veltliner Plantings- Phillips Hills is producing Gruner Veltliner (Valley Foothills Vineyard) and Wentworth Vineyards has planted some in their vineyards so welcome Gruner to the AV lineup! www.phillipshill.com
- Lula Cellars Winery– Our much-anticipated 95 Point 2021 CVR Pinot Noir recently made its debut and, let us tell you, the excitement is still soaring! Planted on our estate vineyard in 2017, this remarkable wine features the first-ever bottling of our Chambertin and Vosne Romanée (CVR) clones. We thought it only fair to bottle them separately from the rest of the vineyard so they could truly show off their flair. www.lulacellars.com
- Navarro Vineyards- Planted two acres of Sauvignon Blanc to make sure they could always produce a wine very popular with their extensive fanbase. www.navarrowine.com.
- Skycrest Vineyard- the highest elevation vineyard in Anderson Valley sits above Boonville and ranges from 1400 to 2000 feet. La Crema is releasing its first single vineyard Pinot Noir from the vineyard, and has been the primary producer of Pinot Noir since its planting in 2006. Other producers with recent releases from the vineyard include Chardonnay from Lula Cellars, who released their first Skycrest Chardonnay earlier this year, as well as Copain, LIOCO and Maggy Hawk who are all producing a higher elevation Chardonnay.
Regional Wine Happenings
- Charity Chef Wine Dinner Series in Anderson Valley (August 19 & September 16) – local very popular chef Scott Baird is hosting a series of summer and fall wine dinners to support the scholarship fund at Boont Tribe Community School. Four courses with local AV wines (rumor has it winemakers like to hang out at Scott’s dinners) $80 and only 20 seats so reserve soon. Email Chef Scott: firstname.lastname@example.org or 510-414-2352
- Mendocino County Fair- September 22-24, check out our old-timey smaller fair & sheep dog trials. Friday night locals night, where most often winemakers can be found taking a break from the busy season. The winners of the Mendocino Wine Competition will be on display throughout the weekend, showcasing county wine. mendocountyfair.com.
- Mendocino Harvest Festival – Nov. 4 – 13. 2023. A multi-day festival celebrating wine and mushrooms includes wine tasting event, mushroom train, beer and mushroom dinners, as well as seafood dinner and events. www.visitmendocino.com.
- Mendocino County Fair Wine Competition- Mendocino Winegrowers hosts their annual competition of wines from the Mendocino Appellation and all sub-appellations. Wines are due July 17 for August 2 judging and all golf medal winners will be poured at the County Fair Sept. 22-24. www.mendocountyfair.com.
- Mushroom & Wine Train – check www.skunktrain.com for dates where the train runs into the redwoods and allows passengers to forage with expert guides.
- Symphony in the Redwoods- Stroll the Mendocino County Botanical Gardens and look for Anderson Valley Winegrowers pouring wine on Sunday, August 13th beginning at noon. Event is complimentary to Botanical Garden patrons. https://www.symphonyoftheredwoods.org/summer-concerts.php
- Winesong! September 8 & 9. This Annual and popular event takes place at the gorgeous Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens and benefits healthcare services in Mendocino. Wines and food abound! Look for Anderson Valley wine in the auction tent and during the live auction. Special Saturday night concert with The Dark Side. www.mchfoundation.org.
The Anderson Valley Winegrowers Association (AVWA) was founded in 1983 – the same year as the appellation. Made up of 26 vineyard, 52 winery and 70 associate members, the non-profit organization operates with the goal of supporting the region’s premier grape growers and wineries, as well as promoting the region’s distinguished wines. In addition to acting as a resource for its members, the association aims to better its community by donating funds every year to local nonprofit organizations.